A friend recently tweeted:
Brilliant, said I. Then I gave it some thought…
Modesty is not ignorance at all, really. We might claim ignorance for the sake of modesty but it’s just a lie.
Modesty is denial.
You actually do know how wonderful you are, I don’t care what evidence to the contrary exists.
Despite what the egoic voices in your head may be babbling about, a part of you also knows you are perfect, whole and complete exactly as you are in this very moment.
To deny this is to deny what is most precious: the source of all our strength, courage, love and hope.
And yet we do this all the time.
- By allowing our fears to limit our behaviors.
- By putting ourselves at a level below other people.
- By putting ourselves at a level above other people.
- By not shouting our own praises from every rafter.
- By not sharing our joy, our dreams and our deepest desires with everyone around us.
- By being modest.
Enough, already. Break out of your not-so-modest denial and take that first step towards admitting you have a problem.
What problem? Glad you asked: